Gino J. Merli Veterans Center | Food Preparation Systems Change
L.R. Costanzo served as the general trades contractor for this two-phased renovation project, coordinating the work of the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing prime contractors. The team was called upon to renovate the pantry, serving and dining areas on the first, second, and third floors of this 200-bed residential facility that includes units for full nursing care, dementia, and personal care.
- Completing Phase I, simultaneously working on all three floors, in 12 weeks to allow time for the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the Department of Labor & Industry inspections.
- Demolishing and constructing in a fully operational health care facility.
- Coordinating three, separate prime contracts, while executing the general trades work.
- Completed Phase I two weeks early. Employed detailed scheduling, carefully coordinated materials and manpower, and continuously adjusted the work force. Worked closely with administration on scheduling, inspections and moving between phases.
- Utilized Infection Control Risk Assessment (ICRA) barriers, negative air machines, and walk-off mats to minimize construction dust.
- In addition to daily communication with the State’s prime contractors, L.R. Costanzo’s team conducted comprehensive weekly job meetings.
- Built custom-made millwork for cabinets and food serving islands, including granite counter tops conforming to ADA requirements
- Installed new walls and finishes, chair and foot rails in the corridors, and an aluminum and glass exit door
- Installed Timbersafe II wood-look, slip resistant flooring in affected areas