H.T. Lyons | Central Utility Plant
The Central Utility Plant is a new facility designed to produce steam and chilled water for the campus’ production facilities. Distribution occurs through a pre-cast tunnel system designed to accommodate anticipated future campus growth. This project also solved underground piping capacity problems in various sections of the original storm water system.
- Deep over excavation due to unsuitable soils.
- Constructed building around major mechanical equipment and large bore prefabricated pipe installed on a rack system.
- Scheduled foundations and construction during winter months’ heaviest accumulations.
- Safe removal and disposal of all unsuitable materials while limiting disturbance to adjacent surroundings.
- Extensive planning and coordination with the mechanical design builder to allow for fast-track schedule.
- Provided temporary heat and temporary enclosures to allow construction to continue through the winter.
L.R. Costanzo experts also installed:
- New utility distribution lines, such as sanitary sewer, mercury waste lines, and electrical duct banks constructed adjacent to the tunnel.
- Storm water runoff protection system for fuel loading areas.
- Containment for interior fuel storage tanks.
- Special sump/foundations for the cooling towers.
- Structural installation.