Lackawanna County Courthouse | Interior Renovations
Renovation of the entire interior of the historic Lackawanna County Courthouse located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Occupying an entire block in the heart of the city, the Courthouse was originally constructed in 1884. This project had a strict time table and needed to be completed while it was fully operational.
- Performing all construction activities while the courthouse stayed fully functional (including courtroom hearings).
- Removing existing front stair and second floor structural floor system in order to create a two-story, handicapped accessible interior atrium. This included uncovering deteriorated foundations that supported the majestic, multi-story, historic stone column entrance.
- Restoring the interior of the facility which included interior demolition of offices, constructing new offices and courtrooms, and restoration of historic courtrooms. Finishes included marble floor and wainscot repair/restoration, ornate plaster repair, faux marble restoration, scagliola repair and decorative painting.
- Space constraints for building’s new mechanical and HVAC equipment installed directly over a judge’s chamber and courtroom.
- Performing structural repairs to unforeseen, four foot deep, ground floor under-slab voids.
- Worked closely with Courthouse officials in scheduling building modifications while court was in session. Re-routed pedestrian traffic during all phases of renovation work so as to not interrupt the Courthouse’s daily operations. Various shifts were utilized to accommodate tight time schedules.
- Utilized a well-known structural engineering firm that worked on Independence Hall in Philadelphia to design elaborate shoring and support systems to execute the structural modifications to exterior entrance bearing walls.
- Built an intricate, sound-proof, fire-proof structural steel frame in the interstitial space to support new HVAC equipment.
- Installed structural steel beams and deck to support new, concrete floors.
L.R. Costanzo experts also oversaw:
- Installation of a state-of-the-art security system.
- Repair of historic, tiled roof.
- Construction of new elevators in existing elevator shafts while keeping one in operation for the public use.
- Cleaning and re-pointing of the outside, four-story stone structure and the eight-story clock tower.